Thursday, May 30, 2013

Simplicity 1777



 Here is the gorgeous pattern:



This is the fabric I'm using, a Cotton Candy Blue, which is a bit more periwinkle than grey blue like I thought but life goes on:


Here is the inspiration! I just realized how more Robin's Egg Blue her dress is than a greyish blue, but again, c'est la vie:


Goals for this sewing project:

-make a muslin of it first!
-read the entire directions before starting (duh...but I         have skipped this part so many times in my haste!).
-use pattern weights when cutting fabric (I made my own from hardware store washers)
-make a dress form
-pre-wash the fabric
-iron after every seam
-zig zag stitch on the raw edges (I do not have a serger)
-make it beautiful backwards and forwards

I'll probably only have time to work on it five minutes here, five minutes there, but it is still fun for me to try!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Table House




 I know...nothing too fancy but my kids like it! And I like that it is easy to put away. It is another one of those projects I've been meaning to do forever but I've had a hard time getting around to it.


My little sewing "nook". Quite cozy, yes? Well, it works for me. Hopefully, baby willing, I'll be able to sew a bit! But, as the old saying goes, (something like this) "I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep."



Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Sewing Tragedy!





 Let me tell you a sad, sad sewing story.

So I had this pattern in my stash:






and about a year ago I purchased two yards of this designer fabric below, called Soho Confetti. Even with a coupon it was about $12 a yard. That is the most per yard I have ever spent on fabric! I just thought it was so cute.


I decided that I would make the dress on top with the fabric. I somehow got it all to fit in 2 yards, or I thought I did. When I was putting it together, I realized I had to cut 2 sections of the skirt and I had only cut 1! Long story short, I needed 2 more yards of the fabric, which is now out of print.

I racked my brain trying to think of ways to salvage the dress, like finding more of the fabric online somewhere, making the skirt and back out of an entirely different fabric, or making only one cut of the skirt work, but alas, none of those options result in an attractive dress I'd want to wear!!! Waaa!

I think I'll put this pattern back on the shelf. I'd like to someday make something more like the blue with red trim version on the pattern cover. With the fabric, I think I'll make an apron for the next newly wed in the family. We'll see. 

Maybe next time I sew I'll use my college education to actually read the pattern!!!!!!