Saturday, January 21, 2017

Day and Night Dress Challenge



Elizabeth from Elizabeth Made This has put together a really cool sewing competition called the Day and Night Dress Challenge. To be apart of it, one must sew a day dress of any color and a night dress that is all black (I double checked with Elizabeth just to be sure!). I really enjoyed this challenge, and yes, worked really hard too! My house is a disaster and I will probably have to take a week off of sewing just to catch up on my chores! 



 I call this my Zooey Deschanel moment ;)


 I wanted to take pictures outside for this "Spring time" dress, but my whole town is covered in snow and ice!!!


 Daisies are one of my favorite flowers!


 ~Shoulder bows are so hot right now~




 The before mentioned Elizabeth took photos of her night dress with her violin so I had to as well!


Yes, I can play violin. Once upon a time I thought I was going to go pro! But I didn't and I don't regret it at all.

 I am a big Project Runway fan but only in the last couple years figured out what the judges mean by the word "cohesion". To put it plainly, it means the same kind of person would wear all the clothes in one designer's collection. Well, from watching all the amazing entries that have come in for this competition, I must say everyone has their own "cohesive aesthetic"! I hope mine does too! I love vintage, French style things and maybe my dresses won't come across like that to everyone, but I certainly am reminded of those things when I wear them! I love these dresses and plan on getting a lot of use out of them! I used a Frankenpattern hack of Butterick B6259, McCalls M7087, and the sleeves of Simplicity 2444 to make my day look dress (a more modest copy of a Forever 21 dress from long ago that I couldn't afford at the time but I never forgot). I straight up copied the picture on the envelope of Butterick 6582 for my night dress. I've always wanted to just take the artist's cues for fabric on a pattern and I'm glad I got the chance to this month! I also used Simplicity 2444's sleeves for the night dress, I just cut them a little shorter. Also, I am very proud of myself for yet again trying French seams! I love how they look!


Thank you Elizabeth for putting this together! 

4 comments:

  1. You look fantastic Sara! I think your indoor shoots turned out really well--you look like one of the pattern envelope models in your day dress. I love the shoulder bows, and of course (I'm biased here) your violin is the perfect accessory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thank you for all your hard work putting this contest together!

      Delete
  2. I love those dresses! They are so fabulous and you did a wonderful job. I adore the look of both of them and really like the fabric you used too. You are such a classy gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As are you my friend! You are truly the best! Thanks Monica!

      Delete