Friday, March 23, 2018

Things I Have Learned

Hello everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I've blogged! Life has been a whirlwind of activity! I've been trying my best to keep my head above water and so everything superfluous took a back seat. 

Anyways, I don't want to quit blogging, even if I break the cardinal rules and don't write very frequently or consistently. I do want to write a few things that I have learned recently.

I feel like I don't learn just a ton a once and all of the sudden I'm so much more knowledgeable. Actually, who learns like that at all? I want to talk to you if you do, and learn your secrets. I learn a little bit here and a little bit there.

So, here are a few of the things that I have learned that have definitely helped me. Maybe these tips will work for you, and maybe they aren't exactly what you need. You decide!


1. Stash Less

My new challenge to myself is just to sew everything in my fabric stash or get rid of it. I heard of some people keeping only fabric for their next project and I am very inspired by this. I purged a bunch of things I just know I won't use and made a plan for everything else. I find that I'm less plagued by guilt when I see what I haven't sewn (I hate wasting money!). I feel more focused and in control. An added bonus is that I have saved money these last few months and bought tools and books I have needed instead that have really helped me! I also have a feeling that I will invest in better quality fabrics if I am purchasing just enough material for the next project in line.

Patterns are harder for me to get rid of. I hoard them! I admit it. When I get them for so little or free, I don't want to get rid of them. Every one that I have I find so beautiful and it seems like a waste to get rid of one that I might find the perfect fabric for someday! However, I have decided that I need to be more selective about what I purchase in the future. I will still probably snatch up every vintage reproduction! A lot of other things I will admire from a distance but probably say no to.



2. Make Appropriate Goals For Oneself


I see so many talented people setting up their own vlogs, Etsy shops, drafting patterns to sell, making podcasts, ect. ect. I commend them all! Good for you guys. There is a little voice in the back of my head saying, "Make sewing into a side hustle....make money with what you love!" As tempting as this is, sewing is my hobby. Maybe someday I will have the energy to turn it onto a money making machine, but right now it would turn my "escape from unpleasant reality" into more stress, which I really don't need. My heart is full, but so are my hands! 

More sewing temptations for me are competitions, sew-alongs, and challenges. I think these are excellent ways to learn new things, boost creativity, gain encouragement to finish a project, meet new people, and maybe even win a fun prize or two! However, sometimes they come at moments where I have too much going on. In the past I have killed myself trying to do everything and I just don't want to add more stress to my life right now. I am being more selective about what works for me, and that is okay! 

So if you are not sewing everything and making money doing it, don't sweat it! If you keep making mistakes, don't worry! Everyone does. I keep on getting reminded that sewing is supposed to be therapeutic and fun. A garment usually takes a couple weeks to sew, even the very best seamstresses have to redo things sometimes and take breaks! Do what is right for you and makes you feel happy.

1 comment:

  1. My English isn’t perfect but I wanted to say that I love your blog ! give me the motivation that I need . And I’m agree sewing should be a therapeutic and fun activity.And thank you for your tips about what you learned on sewing. “ A garment usually takes a couple a weeks to sew” ohhh my God! I needed somebody who told me that words because I want to sew a garment in one day . I’m completely beginner in sewing. My dream is to sew my own wardrobe and wear clothes with more quality that fits with the weather(tropical) and my lifestyle . I come from Puerto Rico You got a new fan on your blog Please!!!!! write more how you keep motivated in the early days when you started sewing. Wish you the best!!!!!

    ReplyDelete