Monday, August 26, 2019

Butterick 6684


Hello Blogland! It's been awhile! Instagram has seduced me with its convenient ways. However, when the Minerva Crafts Blogging Team reached out and asked me to write a post on some of their fabric, how could I say no?!?! Being back on Blogger is giving me all the feels....remembering when I first luckily discovered the online sewing community back in 2012 (has it really been that long???). It was kismet. I haven't looked back since!
 

 This Lady McElroy horse print in polyester chiffon dress fabric (black on pink) immediately caught my eye on the Minerva website. My horse obsession and sewing obsession have finally met up with each other! It just occurred to me I should've scouted out a horse to take a picture with. Darn it! Next horse outfit I will! ;)


 I chose to use the Butterick B6684 pattern because what self respecting girly girl doesn't love a good bow shirt? It's from their latest Summer Sewing Collection. It paired well with the light pink color of the blouse and the fun horse print.


The fabric wasn't too difficult to work with for a chiffon! It's lovely and breezy to wear, which is just what I need in the summer heat!
 

 Since the fabric was on the sheer side, I decided to stray from some of the sewing instructions, just a bit (I'm a sewing rebel!). I opted to make my own bias tape binding from the fabric scraps instead of using the facing that it called for. I think it works well and doesn't distract from the look of the garment at all.


 I also decided to use my homemade bias tape binding on the sleeves. I think it helped it lay more flat and thankfully the armscye is the perfect shape for me (I had neglected to check it during the paper muslin process I usually use but this time it worked out for me. What a relief!). I also used the French Seam technique for the shoulder and side seams, also due to the nature of the fabric and not wanting to have fraying seams!



 And there you go! A feminine, breezy, lovely top that I'm sure will be apart of my regular wardrobe rotation. There's always a special feeling of pride when a self made garment turns out well!



I'm so happy about this new shirt that was easy to sew, looks great, and matches the feminine "aethetic" I'm always reaching for! Thanks Minerva for including me in your blogger team!

No comments:

Post a Comment